Skip to content
Before you have your car repaired there are things you need to consider. Below are 10 Things to Know Before Having Your Car Repaired.
While these steps will not alleviate the pain of being without your car while it is repaired they will offer you some control in the process of getting the most out of your repair.
- Your car is the second largest investment you’re likely to make. Preserve its value and your safety by having it repaired professionally.
- Never drive a car that could be unsafe because of damages.
- Some insurance companies may want you to visit their drive-in claims center before having your car repaired. You can do this, or you may leave your car at your collision repair shop and ask that the insurance company inspect the car there.
- You are not required by law to obtain more than one estimate or appraisal.
- You have the right to go to the repair shop of your choice. Your insurance company cannot require you to go to a particular shop.
- Differences in repair estimates are common. A lower price may not include all necessary work. If you’re not sure why one estimate is different from another you’ve received, ask the shop manager.
- Choose a shop that has uni-body repair equipment and certified (by I-CAR or ASE, for example) Technicians.
- Ask if the shop will be using genuine manufacturer (OEM) replacement parts.
- Ask if the shop offers a repair warranty.
- Let the collision repair shop you choose help you negotiate your claim with the insurance company, this often leads to a better deal.